Thursday, March 6, 2008

Echoes of Temptations

We have one NPR station in the area. It comes from a university downstate. They play all-night jazz. I don't like jazz. Too screechy-squealy. So I never listen. Sometimes I listen to Fresh Air, though. On the subject of Fresh Air, Terry Gross impressed me on Book TV one weekend. She was telling the interviewer (required by the network to be charmless and stiff) about how some affiliates received complaints that she had so many non-heterosexuals on the show. They wanted to know what to do about the complaints and if there was an official response. So she send down the line to these affiliates that they should handle the complaints the same way they would handle complaints about having too many Jewish or Black people on the show. No effort to be moderate or compromise. No pious mouthings about how sincerely feelings are held or any of the other stuff we usually here.

I have another topic here after which I titled the post. That being:

Two years ago I was often staying up well into the morning. I would even go out and hit up breakfast somewhere, which I try not to do when I'm going to be in bed soon after.That's how I discovered Echoes. The local affiliate plays it in the early mornings on weekends. I haven't been up very late most weekends since then, and not in the car when I was, so I haven't heard it in quite a while.

Today I learned that it broadcasts every night and they have a website where you can get hooked up with the feed from a station where it's airing. Excellent. It's stringy tonight too. I like strings.

I'll probably get tired of it later and switch to something else, but for now it's fine. It's also eating up tonight's scheduled seaQuest viewing. What episode was that supposed to be? Episode 11, seaWest. I twitched a little just reading that. Could it be a wild west show? Could it? Could it, writers?
When the crew arrives at an undersea mining facility called Broken Ridge, they find themselves in a situation right out of the Old West.
You know what's terrible? That sounds so awful I kind of want to watch it. I bet Crocker is folksy! It's like greasy food or something. I know it's wrong, but it's so tempting. I need to steel myself with something inspirational, like 1 Samuel 25:21-22.

That didn't work. I'm really stuck now. I can't even rely on the Bible to lead me from temptation. Perhaps an artist?
The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it.
Hm.
I can resist everything except temptation.
Now I'm lost. It's the last on Disc Two. It must be done.

No comments: